Locus Robotics’ collaborative AMRs hit European warehouses in GXO deal
Rapidly growing warehouse robotics outfit Locus Robotics has landed a contract with logistics giant GXO to support a high-volume order fulfilment contract for one of its UK and Netherlands-based sports retail customers.
GXO will deploy 65 autonomous mobile robots (AMRs) at its warehouses to help optimise productivity by decreasing walking time and eliminating the physical challenges of pulling heavy pick trolleys.
Massachusetts-based Locus – which opened a European headquarters in the Netherlands last year – typically leases out robotic fleets for organisations looking to automate logistics.
Locus Robotics CEO Rick Faulk said that the firm’s multi-bot approach, flexibility, scalability and fast ROI would support GXO to “consistently exceed its global customers’ expectations”.
He added: “This deployment allows GXO to further scale its operations for the customer as they expand into new markets and reach more consumers.”
Gavin Williams, managing director of GXO, UK and Ireland, said the partnership with Locus reflected the logistics’ company’s commitment to deploying “innovative logistics solutions that use advanced technology to address increasingly complex fulfilment challenges.”
He added: “Customization, flexibility and scalability are the hallmarks of our solutions, and the Locus AMRs support our ability to make warehouse space even more efficient for our customers.”
Locus currently has some 4,000 robots deployed across 80 sites. Last year roughly 80% of its deployments were in the US, with the remaining 20% in Europe.
Other customers include pharmacy and beauty retailer Boots UK, which deployed 135 LocusBots in its Burton-upon-Trent warehouse facility to support anticipated peak season volume growth.
The LocusBots were deployed to work collaboratively with the warehouse’s existing workforce, travelling to various picking locations while the pickers remained at their station and the robots ferried the goods to the packing station.
Subscribe to our Editor's weekly newsletter